An easy, healthy Persian take on lentil stew. Lentils, tumeric, cinnamon and garlic make this a true super food! High in fiber, complete protein and very filling.
- 1c green lentils
- 3-4 cups of stock (vegetable, chicken or both)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1-2 medium cloves of garlic (diced or crushed)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Heat butter and oil in pot over medium heat
- Add diced onions and saute gently until translucent (10-12 minutes)
- Add garlic, salt and tumeric and continue to sautee for another minute.
- Add lentils and 3c of stock to pot and stir often until you bring to a boil
- simmer for 45 minutes-stirring so that nothing sticks and add more stock if needed
- Add in cinnamon. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed
- The dish is done when consistency is a thick soup
- Can be served with greek yogurt or eaten alone for a complete meal!