So recently I became really interested in foods that can help repair a “leaky gut”. I have learned that most hormonal imbalances, chronic infections and autoimmune conditions can stem back to a damaged and leaky gut. What this really means is the epithelial layer of the digestive system (small and large intestine and stomach) have been altered by some type of stress they have endured, typically toxins or bacteria and parasites. This allows toxic agents and antigens to leak through the “tight junctions” and interact with our immune system to create the cascade of “Metabolic Chaos”. This means later in life, you will see this represent itself as symptoms such as hormonal imbalance, infertility, chronic pain, rheumatoid arthritis, autoimmune disease, brain fog, fatigue, weight gain, muscle loss….basically the FUNCTION of your body slows down and your organs and systems eventually stop working.
One nutrient that is promising in healing leaky gut (once you have treated the infections and parasites of course!) is COLLAGEN.
Collagen is the main supportive proteins that gives bone, cartilage and tendons their strength. Once cooked it becomes “gelatin.” Supplementing with collagen or gelatin is important because it can help boost your gastric juices and aid is restoring the integrity and health of your mucosal lining. Collagen also contains the amino acids proline and glycine which are essential building blocks to repairing damaged intestinal lining.
What you need:
- 1 package of Knox unflavored gelatin
- 1 bottle of strawberry extract or any extract of your choice. Do yourself a favor and purchase this in a health food store to avoid the trouble of getting something with food coloring and chemicals.
- 1 bottle of stevia drops
- Optional-for more flavor or if you are giving this to your kids, you can add in some organic juice such as apple juice, grape juice, etc….
Directions: Follow the direction in the back of your Knox box. This is what I did
- Heat 3c of liquid on the stove. You can do all water, or you can use 1c juice and 2c water, or 2c juice and 1c water. Play around with the amounts of water vs juice and be conscious of the sugar content!
- While the water is boiling, add 1 c of cold liquid to a few drops of stevia and the flavored extract of your choice
- Once the water has boiled, add in the hot liquid and stir. Pour mixture into a 9X12 dish and refrigerate this until its ready.
- Serve and enjoy
You can also top this with fruit for your kids. Strawberry slices and bananas are delicious. Since I am watching my sugar intake, I opt for the no fruit and no juice option to enjoy a low calorie, sugar free, GUT HEALING SNACK!